Friday, March 07, 2008

NSW ALP Fight To Lie To Voters


I was alone, and felt it. I uttered a sound, and liked it. The pictures are of me, on my own.
===
NSW Labor yesterday fought for its right not to tell the truth to voters during election campaigns by rejecting a Bill to legislate advertising messages.

The private Bill put forward by Ballina Nationals MP Don Page is based on South Australian laws and proposes legislation to make inaccurate and misleading political advertising an offence.

But the State Government has opposed the amended Bill, which would apply to state and local government elections.
===
The statement:
I have made mistakes in presenting my self and my issue in the past, but
I don't wish to sugar coat it. I don't want the important issues of a
dead boy, or a bungled pedophile investigation or my harassment (and the
harassment of my students) to be derailed by the smears of my abusers.

I am not in good shape, financially. My decision, although well
intended, has cost me substantially. More than I realised. I thought I
might just report the matter. It surprised me that the matter wasn't to
be reported.

The reply:
To be honest ***** I don't think there is a clear cut story for us.
Certainly you have had a rough trot but there doesn't seem to be anyone
holding a smoking gun if you know what I mean.

Having said that, if you come across or recall anything explosive feel
free to flick me an email.

Good luck Mr Weasel.


The journalist is honest, but is it acceptable that such issues go unreported by the press on the grounds of there not being an individual to blame? Systemic corruption cannot be ignored. The result would be that a voting population would not be aware of corrupt practise, and might elect a government that is corrupt, and even lies in its advertising ..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Labor defends right to lie to voters
from news.com.au
NSW Labor yesterday fought for its right not to tell the truth to voters during election campaigns by rejecting a Bill to legislate advertising messages.

The private Bill put forward by Ballina Nationals MP Don Page is based on South Australian laws and proposes legislation to make inaccurate and misleading political advertising an offence.

But the State Government has opposed the amended Bill, which would apply to state and local government elections.

"A common criticism is that regulatory efforts to encourage 'truth in political advertising' might be desirable but are simply unworkable in practice," Camden Labor MP Geoff Corrigan said in Parliament yesterday.

Manly Liberal MP Mike Baird told Parliament the exact same legislation had worked in South Australia, where last year the Liberal Party was instructed to change a TV ad.

"What is wrong with an advertisement being put to an independent regulator to ascertain whether or not it is truthful?" he asked.