Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Headlines Tuesday 30th September

Dunleavy - a press legend departs
Piers Akerman
LATER this week a special edition of The New York Post will mark the retirement of the last of the great journalists of the pre-electronic era—the Australian Steve Dunleavy.
===
THESE PEOPLE KNOW EVERYTHING
Tim Blair
The political heavyweights at 9am With David & Kim turned their attention this morning to Sarah Palin’s candidacy
===
SHOCKMARKET
Tim Blair
Australia reacts:
The share market has fallen more than 5 per cent immediately after the market open this morning, following the biggest ever single-day point decline on Wall St overnight.
===
NOW IT CAN BE TOLD
Tim Blair
Colleague Ben was one of our Daily Telegraph staff in Beijing for the Olympics. Naturally, there were problems.

An active type, Ben sought to keep spirits high during breaks in the action by organising hallway cricket matches. The media centre wasn’t really suited to cricket, what with so many people milling about, but Ben persisted.
===
LEAD EXTENDED
Tim Blair
They’re confident in Obamastan:
Barack Obama’s senior aides believe he is on course for a landslide election victory over John McCain and will comfortably exceed most current predictions in the race for the White House.

Their optimism, which is said to be shared by the Democratic candidate himself, is based on information from private polling and on faith in the powerful political organisation he has built in the key swing states.
===
SHE’S INSIDE THEIR HEADS III
Tim Blair
A Palinphobe is suffering:
My reaction to her, and the way the Republican Party threw her in our faces, and the pandering and hypocrisy that was behind their decision to do so, was immediate, visceral, and indeed, vicious. I have crossed every line I believed should never be crossed in public discourse—I have criticized not only her policies and her record, but her hair, her personal style, her accent, her abilities as a mother, etc. I’ve also begun to suffer personally and professionally. I bore my friends with my constant tirades against her, and am constantly distracted from my work by my need to continually update myself on the latest criticism, and indeed, ridicule, of her. In my hatred for her, I have begun to hate myself.

No comments: