Tuesday, April 21, 2009

EVANS AND THE GOVERNMENT MUST COME CLEAN ON AFP ADVICE

On 3AW this morning, the Immigration Minister, Senator Chris Evans, was asked about media reports of AFP advice to the government concerning the impact of changed policy on people smuggling.

Senator Evans replied:

“I don’t know anything about it and I haven’t received such a report.”
“I haven’t seen such a report.”
“I don’t know whether such a report exists and I haven’t seen it.”

Asked directly by Neil Mitchell whether he had inquired about such a report from the AFP, Senator Evans evaded the question.

He said: “I get my advice through normal channels” and there had been “ongoing advice from my Department.”

He identified sources of advice as being the National Security Committee of Cabinet and other forums.

It beggars belief that Senator Evans has not inquired or been informed of the existence of such advice. He has not denied its existence.

The AFP Commissioner, or his nominee, usually attends NSC meetings.

It is also the usual practice in circumstances of people smuggling for agency officials, including officials from the AFP, Attorney-General’s Department, the Immigration Department, the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet, and other relevant agencies to frequently meet in order to assess the situation and advise the government.

These meeting occur on a regular basis, and as frequently as a number of times each day when a particular incident arises.

The government must come clean about the AFP advice.

No comments: