Saturday, May 15, 2010

Grief Stricken


My father died late last year. He led a good long life and was surrounded by his loved ones at the end. I was sad. But the news I got recently of a near stranger has left me grief stricken. She was little more than a child. Eighteen years old. She had her troubles in her life, but she also had a future too. Maybe she got ambitious and made a mistake, but the mistake was nothing compared to the penalty.

She had made a couple of friends she did not meet. So she planned to meet with them. She did not know that she was only communicating with one person. A person known to the police. It is not generally known what he was known for. He is only two years older than what she was. They met, and a short time later, after a short search by police on behalf of her concerned family, she was found dead, by a sporting field, close to the meeting place.

I did not work hard enough on this piece, 'Angel' and I wish I had. Rest well, Nona. I knew you only a little, as a teacher some years ago. I knew your family and cousins similarly. I wish you had had the joys of a long life. I wish you had been a little less troubled in your short life.

No comments: