Friday, February 15, 2013

Cynical Contempt of the Australian Constitution


Australian PM, Julia Gillard, calling for support of Constitutional Recognition

Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard makes the case for constitutional recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. recognise.org.au http://sco.lt/7TcbDN

===

Constitutional Recognition Of Indigenous Australians - RECOGNISE

You Me Unity is the national conversation about updating Australia’s constitution to recognise both Indigenous Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. Have your say! JanetCD's insight: Let us make this happen http://sco.lt/7OoILZ


David Ball • I have Aboriginal ancestry but am not recognised as Aboriginal .. my culture being more related to my birthplace, NYC in USA. My concern regarding the issue of constitutional recognition is that it seems to me to be intrinsically racist without being beneficial. I feel cultural assets need to be supported and that all benefit when cultural assets are promoted. To distinguish Aboriginal peoples apart from everyone else is to promote a minority (which is ok) at the expense of cultural assets (which is not ok). So I feel that our energy is best devoted to other means of dealing with poverty and deprivation experienced by my cousins. I recognise the efforts of Mr Howard's government to deal with the issue in the top end and think effective intervention more helpful, noting that other equity issues pursued by the Rudd/Gillard government, like gender equality and disparity between rich and poor are much worse for their chosen policy.
===
Both of the topics were started by Janet Doyle. She seems to be a talented contributor to education. One might prefer less enthuses for a complete waste of time.

No comments: