Saturday, June 14, 2014

The entitlement obstructing good government

They feel so entitled .. apparently good government means they will not live. The truth is they can complete their studies and prosper. They might not do medicine .. even if they qualify, they need significant resources to be a student at university .. but not everyone becomes a doctor who wishes to. The funding is wasted that is not essential. It costs more to do things badly.
===
https://www.facebook.com/sophie.mazzitto
===
David Daniel - There's a new petition taking off on Change.org, and we think you might be interested in signing it:

Tony Abbott: Please don’t stop the 9 girls studying at Rosemount from finishing their schooling.

By Rosemount Good Shepherd Youth and Family Services
The nine of us have all struggled for years to get back on track. Some have mental illnesses, others come from poor backgrounds – now, there’s funding cuts to the only education service that can help us.  If it happens, it’d shatter my world. I won’t be able to graduate, and the arrangement means I’ll probably lose my house too.
I’m one of nine young women trying to finish my HSC at Rosemount Good Shepherd Youth Service. They provide alternative education programs to students who suffer mental illness or disadvantage.  We are a really diverse mix of young people but we have one thing in common: we’ve struggled for years, and now we just really want to finish school.
Ending of the Rosemount service would mean going back to square one for the nine of us. I don't want that to happen. We've all worked so hard.
I’m the eldest of 6 siblings. I couldn’t go to a regular school because I had to put every ounce of energy into helping my mum raise the other kids.  Now - at Rosemount - I’m finally on track to graduate, so I’ve actually been able to secure a place to live.  
Some of my school mates are amazing. Like Taylor, who is a 17-yr old Aboriginal student, when she passed year 10 she became the most qualified person in her family. Now she's training to be a nurse and on track to do medicine! Or Grace, who is also 17 and battles crippling anxiety and depression but has fought her way back for months and is now a chance of doing nursing.
When the funding stops, some of us will be just 6 months away from completing high school. It's not just about education – but all my counsellors are here too – everyone that supports me.
I just want Tony Abbott or Mike Baird to give us a chance. It's a tiny amount of money, but means so much to us, it's our future. I'm asking them not to force us nine young women out of Rosemount and our last chance at achieving an education.
Please sign this petition and help me save my education, my house, and my future.
Sophia Mazzito

No comments: